About Budhwar Peth, Pune
It is a commercial locality in Pune, full of electronic shops and a sizeable population of sex workers. Pune was ruled by Mughal Emperor Auranzeb for some time. He inhabited Budhwar Peth in the year 1660. During his time the place was called Mohitabad or Moheyabad. When Peshwas came to power, Thorale Madhavrao Peshwa renamed it as Budhwar Peth.
Today the place is a commercial centre replete with book shops, electrical good shops and traditional item shops. Places of interests here include Jogeshwari Temple, Appa Balwant Chowk and Dagadusheth Halwai Ganapati temple etc. The idol of Ganesha at this Ganpati temple is laden with heavy gold jewelly worth several lakhs.
The place is also known for being a hub of producing automated taxi metres for most of the autos/rented cars in India. The red light area here is considered to be third largest in India and homes more than 5,000 commercial sex workers.